Setting on a knoll overlooking the San Gabriel Valley with an exquisite front row view of the Sierra Mountains, South Hills Country Club is located on one of the original Mexican Mission land grants—the Rancho Santa Anita. Through its natural heritage which was created for the gathering place of families and friends, the South Hills Country Club fosters the friendships of the days when California was the land of the Dons.
The golf course at South Hills was designed by William P. Bell (also known as Billy Bell) and his son William F. Bell. One of the most conspicuous features of many Bell courses are the bunkers. Rustic with lacy edges, his bunkers blend seamlessly into the natural landscape and backdrop.
South Hills Country Club began as an idea on the part of local residents who wanted a golf and country club in their area. After many meetings and telephone calls the small group grew into a large organization of determined individuals ready to meet the challenge. The property was chosen nestled in the San Jose Hills. It was the perfect spot for a great golf course and clubhouse. And thus, South Hills Country Club was born. Land was purchased and memberships were sold even before there was a clubhouse or golf course. This group sold the vision to the rest of the community.
On February 17, 1952, invitations to join South Hills Country Club were sent out after eleven months of meetings,surveys, research, and hard work on behalf of these great volunteers. Within weeks eligibility committees were formed to handle the applicants. By March 23rd the club had 156 members. By April 13, the club had 214 members. All this without having any golf course or clubhouse built. The 18-hole golf course was designed by renowned golf course architect, Billy Bell Jr. Groundbreaking for the golf course was held on June 20, 1952.
South Hills Country Club’s Articles of Incorporation were filed on August 15, 1952. Drawings for the Clubhouse were put out to bid on February 23, 1953. Malen and Nichlas were awarded the contract. On April 10, 1954, two years after the first meeting, a ground breaking ceremony was held on the site of our present clubhouse.
An elegant Santa Barbara Mission style clubhouse was opened in 2000. From the grand entrance to the elegant dining areas, huge locker/card rooms, and splendid outdoor terraces South Hills is truly in a class of its own.